October 14, 2013

Sawyer's Nursery

Description:
For Sawyer’s nursery I wanted to create a space that could grow with him, but that still felt appropriate for a baby. I knew I wanted to keep the walls neutral and have white furniture for a clean, sharp look. The bedding from Pottery Barn Kids was the jumping off point for us, and we used the colors in it (navy, white, red, and light blue) throughout his nursery.

Design Inspiration:
The preppy, somewhat nautical vibe of New England was my inspiration for Sawyer’s room. I wanted the space to feel coherent without having a specific “theme,” and I think we achieved that.

Decorating Style:
My style can best be described as classic, traditional, and neat. I try to use pieces that are going to be timeless, rather than following trends. I err on the side of plain and simple, but Jason keeps me from being too “vanilla.”

Favorite Items:
It’s hard to choose because I really do love everything, but I especially appreciate all of the personal touches in his nursery. It’s so sweet to think I will rock my baby to sleep in the same rocking chair that his great-great-grandmother used to rock her babies. I also love the oar that my husband designed and painted, and that Sawyer will play with the same rocking horse I had as a child. I can't forget about the Build-A-Bear Jason and I made on our anniversary either!

Advice:
Start early! There are so many great ideas out there that it is hard to choose at first. Give yourself plenty of time to brainstorm. Once you do decide, there will likely be lots of projects to complete, things to buy, decorations to find, etc. It's a lot more enjoyable if you aren't in a rush and can take your time to get everything just so.


These pictures aren't the greatest quality due to my camera and the lighting, but you get the idea...
















Project Details:

Paint Color: Sherwin Williams "Latte"

Crib: Graco Charleston 4-in-1 convertible classic crib

Changing Table: Delta Harlow changing table

Baskets: I think they came from Target, but they are almost 10 years old. Re-purposed!

Dresser: Ameriwood White Finish 6 Drawer Dresser

Side Table: This was a black end table we already had, which Jason painted to match the nursery.


Rocking Chair: It originally belonged to Jason’s great-grandmother and was passed down to us from his parents.

Toy Box: Solutions by Kids R Us

Floating Shelves: Allen + Roth 36" wall mounted shelving

Rocking Horse: It was mine as a little girl. A friend from church made it by hand.

Bedding: Pottery Barn Kids

Mirror: Another thing we already had that we painted and re-purposed for the nursery.

Framed Prints:  Designed by Jason. The frames were black Wal-Mart frames that we spray painted silver. We were really impressed with how well they turned out!

Frame Above Crib: Handmade by Jason using crown moulding from Lowe’s

Letters: Michael’s

Curtains: Threshold Grayson Grommet Window Panel Pair 

Other Items: A lot of the small, decorative items came from TJ Maxx. Jason made the wooden ark when he was in high school and the fire truck was a childhood toy of his. The red lamp was a baby shower gift.


Now that we've got the nursery finished we can't wait to put a baby in it!



2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much! I just want to sit in there all the time and wait for him!

    ReplyDelete