July 01, 2015

My Thoughts on Gay Marriage

I've debated back and forth about whether or not to post anything, because I generally try to reserve the internet for "puppies and kittens" as my mother would say. But, In light of recent events, I've seen a lot of John 8:7 being thrown around and I think it deserves to be discussed.

 In case you aren't familiar, it is where Jesus says, "let him who is without sin among you be the first to throw a stone at her," in regards to the adulterous woman brought before Him by the Pharisees. Here's the part that I think people miss though. If you read a little further you will get to John 8:11, where Jesus forgives her of her sin and commands her to, "go, and from now on sin no more."

Love wins, all right. Jesus IS love. He loves us so much that he died to save us, not so we can live in our sin, but so that we too can, "go...and sin no more." As a follower of Jesus, I love everyone: gay, straight, tall, short, black, white or purple. However, because I believe what the Bible says about sin, which is that it leads to eternal separation from God, it wouldn't be loving at all for me to sit back and watch while people celebrate what God clearly defines as sin. So, that's why I don't agree with gay marriage. Not out of hate at all, but genuinely out of love.

Now as far as whether or not gay marriage should be legal or not, I honestly don't think the government should be granting marriages in the first place. If I had my way, any two adults could get a civil contract from the government, that would provide them with whatever benefits the government currently gives to married folk. But don't call it marriage. Marriage is God's business and He's pretty clear on how it works; marriage is a covenant between a man, a woman, and Himself.

No comments:

Post a Comment